As an academic, I have undertaken various different roles (i.e. presenter, invited speaker, trainer, reviewer, consultant, manager and administrator etc.).
Presenter and Invited Speaker Roles
- Presenter, European Symposium on Usable Security (EuroUSEC 2021), 11th October 2021.
- Invited Speaker,Cybercrime Conference: fake news, legislative responses, and women in cyber, Jill Dando Institute of Security and Crime Science (JDI), UCL, 21st July 2021.
- Presenter, 33rd British Human-Computer Interaction conference, 19-20 July 2021.
- Invited Speaker, Cara Syria Programme, E-learn Soiree Series on ‘Technology is Reshaping how we Research’, 4th February 2021.
- Presenter, 24th International Conference Information Visualisation (IV), September 2020.
- Presenter, ICT, Society, and Human Beings 2020, 14th Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, 21st – 25th July 2020.COVID-19. Presentation: #Working From Home. Quite Enjoyed It. Surprised Myself.
- Presenter, the Cyber Science 2020 conference (virtual) June 15th & 17th 2020. Presentation: The Visual Design of Network Data to Enhance the Cyber Security Awareness of the Everyday Internet User.
- Invited speaker, Department of Computer Science and Creative Technologies, University of the West of England, Bristol, October 2019. Presentation: Losing our Senses in Cyberspace.
- Presenter, the Cyber Science 2019 conference at Oxford University June 2th & 3rd 2019. Presentation: What Makes for Effective Visualisation in Cyber Situational Awareness for Non-Expert Users?
- Presenter, the ALT 2018 conference. Presentation: Empowering students through an authentic learning environment. How lecturers are creating opportunities for independent learning through the use of technology (presented by Sophie Meace).
- Presenter, the IEEE 2017 International Symposium on Technology and Society (ISTAS 2017): From good ideas to practical solutions in Sydney, Australia, 9 – 11 August 2017. Presentation: From Good Ideas to Practical Solutions.
- Presenter, the 9th International Conference on e-Learning – MCCSIS, Multi-conference of computer science and Information systems in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain, 21 – 24 July 2015.
- Presenter, the 9th International Conference on Frontiers in Education: Computer Science and Computer Engineering, USA. July 22-25, 2013.
- Presenter, the 27th Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics conference at Cardiff University, 19th June 2009.
- Presenter, the 22nd British HCI Group annual conference at John Moore’s university, Liverpool, September 2008
- Presenter, Plymouth e-Learning Conference, Plymouth University, 4th April 2008.
- Presenter, Shock of the Old 7 Conference: Web 2.0 and the Connected Future, University of Oxford, 3rd April, 2008.
- Invited speaker, the Modern Languages Workshop at the Open University, Cardiff, August 2007.
- Presenter, the Lie of the Land: Scottish Landscape and Culture conference, University of Stirling, Scotland, July 2006.
- Presenter, the 19th British HCI Group annual conference at Napier University, Edinburgh, September 2005.
- Presenter, the E-designs in Art and Design Education conference, London, September 2005.
- Invited demonstrator, CEBIT, Digital Business Trade Fair, Germany, March 2005.
- Presenter, the International Visual Literacy Association (IVLA) conference, South Africa, October 2004.
- Presenter, the International Community for Auditory Display (ICAD) conference, Boston, July 2003.
Sputnik Radio Interview on the 27th May 2020 The COVID-19 Crisis Has Shown That People Can Conduct Their Jobs in a Home Setting’ – Academics
Trainer and Consultant Roles
Software Alliance Wales (SAW) trainer, Using Moodle in Small Business Enterprises (SME's), University of South Wales, 2013.
Software Alliance Wales (SAW) trainer, iBook development, University of South Wales, 2013.
Invited trainer of Web 2 and multimedia technologies to SMEs (Community Education centres in Porth, Banwen and Glynneath) in South Wales, TRIO project, 2006-2008.
Invited Trainer of digital narrative development for asylum seekers, refugees and legal immigrants to Swansea, The Swansea Learning Partnership Project, 2006-2008.
Consulting with Swansea University lecturers and tutors to develop engaging online materials and learning objects, TRIO project, 2006-2008.
Consulting with Swansea University tutors in how to use MP3 players to enhance learning, The Swansea Learning Partnership Project, 2006-2008.
Chair at the 8th IEEE International Conference on Robot Intelligence Technology and Applications (RiTA), (virtual), 11th– 13th December, 2020.
Chair at the MCCSIS, Multi-conference of computer science and Information systems, 13th International Conference on ICT, Society and Human Beings (virtual), 21– 23 July, 2020.
Reviewer and Editor Roles
Reviewer, On The Horizon, (2021).
Book Editor, Privacy, Security and Forensics in The Internet of Things (IoT), Springer Book, (2021).
Reviewer, Journal of Computer Assisted Language Learning, (2016-present).
Reviewer, Space, Spatiality & Technologies Workshop papers, Napier Edinburgh University, Scotland of (2003 & 2004).
Selected Management Roles
- Subject External Examiner for the University of Portsmouth (01/09/20 to 30/09/24).
- Programme Director for ‘Computing with Creative Design’ and ‘Computing for Interaction’ degree programmes, School of Technologies, Cardiff Met University (2019 to Present).
- Co-Leader of the Creative Technologies Research Cluster, School of Technologies, Cardiff Met University (2019 to Present).
- Co-Leader of the DSAiHCD research centre, School of Technologies, Cardiff Met University (present).
- Project Manager for the project ‘From data to business value: Developing a data physicalisation framework to transform data into value for Welsh business’ Funded by Smart Expertise (Welsh Government/ European Commission under European Regional Development Funds regulations).
- Leader, Athena Swan application (Bronze) for the School of Technologies, Cardiff Met University (2019-present).
- Policy Analyst at the Global Foundation for Cyber Studies and Research, http://www.gfcyber.org (present).
- Welsh CyberFirst AmbassadorWelsh CyberFirst Ambassador (2020) and STEM Ambassador (Pending). (2020) and STEM Ambassador (Pending).
- Co-leader, Athena Swan application (Bronze) for the Department of Computer science and creative technologies, University of the West of England, England (2017-2018).
- Co-leader the Athena Swan application (Bronze) for the School of Computing and Maths, University South Wales, Wales (2016-2017).
- Founder and manager, Digital Learning Group, School of Computing and Maths, University of South Wales (2017).
- Founder and manager, 'Women in Computing' interest group at University of South Wales (2017).
Selected Administrative Roles
- Committee member for the International Conference on Global Security, Safety & Sustainability, 2021.
- Programme Chair for the international conference in Robot Intelligence Technology and Applications, 2020.
- Member of academic group, University Digital Accessibility Project, Cardiff Met University (June 2020 to present).
- Member, School Research Committee, School of Technologies, Cardiff Met University (2019 to present).
- Widening Access Tutor, Marketing, Communications and Student Recruitment, Cardiff Met University (2019 to present).
- Member of the WHEN, the Women’s Higher Education Network, (2020 to present).
- Member of Personal Tutoring and Learning Analytics Steering Group, Cardiff Met University (August 2020 to present).
- Member of IEEE P7010 Working Group (2019), working to develop wellbeing metrics relating to human factors directly affected by intelligent and autonomous systems.
- Widening participation representative, Department of Computer Science and Creative Technologies at the University of West of England (2018).
- Mentor of three early career academics, Women in University Mentoring Scheme (2016-2017).
- Coordinator of TRIO taster sessions, Swansea University, Wales (2007-2008).
- Designer of TRIO promotion material, Swansea University, Wales (2007-2008).
- Coordinator of the Benogo Workshops, Napier Edinburgh University, Scotland (2004 & 2005).
- Organiser of the Space, Spatiality & Technologies Workshops, Napier Edinburgh University, Scotland of (2003 & 2004).